Sunday 15 June 2008

Running...and cycling too!

Last Sunday (8 June), Gary and I decided to do the Barton 10k. Initially, Gary hadn't been too keen on doing this as we had a Midweek League Race the following week. But I was always keen (and he came round to my way of thinking eventually). We did this race last year and it was very enjoyable (if a bit warm and polleny) and I was keen to do it again.
In true Lindsay-style, I decided a good plan was to cycle to the race (only 6 miles from Hitchin), do the race, and then go on a bike ride. The 6 miles there was a nice loosener and I don't think it affected my run although I am glad it wasn't any further.
The race starts by running (off road) up a nice bug hill. It's one of those hills where your legs are like jelly at the top (I also get this feeling when I walk up the stairs at work!) and you heart is beating so hard it is painful. SO yes, of course I had to walk the last little bit of the hill (and another little one at 7k) but otherwise I really enjoyed this run and I fely nice and strong, especially near the end where I overtook 5 or 6 people. My time was nothing special (62 mins) but that wasn't the point today!
After the race, we set off on our bikes again, it was a gorgeous day, not a day for housework (in our house it never is unfortunately). We decided it was the perfect day to use our National Trust membership and visit the nearest NT place to Hitchin which was Shaw's Corner in Ayot St Lawrence. The cycle there (and back again!) was really lovely, the sun was shining and all was good with the world.
We crawled back home at about 6pm (we'd left at 10), tired and somewhat flushed from having been in the sun all day. A mad day, but a lovely one!

No comments: