Monday 6 October 2008

Just where do you find the time? (Part 1)

Being a slow runner means that long runs take a long time and thus a larger percentage of your day. It's pretty obvious really but think about it a bit more.

Using Mr Cook as an example, he would budget around two and a half hours for a 20 miler. In my case, you are looking at more like three and a half to three and a quarter (and the rest!) And this works for every run, from your 5-6 miles (45 minutes v 1 hour) to your second long run of the week (10 miles in 70 minutes versus 1 hour 40). This does mean that sometimes it is hard to fit runs in, especially during the week, simply because to do a run of a certain length takes a while. But this weekend really showed how hard it can be and how other factors are also at play.

On Saturday I attended a road race organiser’s seminar which involved a 10am start in Huntingdon returning home at 5ish. (definitely worth attending by the way). Now, yes, I should and probably could have gone for a run when getting back but I was tired and it was wet, cold and windy (yes, I am human!) On Sunday, I arrived at Standalone Farm at 6am. My original plan was to run home, but I mislaid my food and drink so by the time 1pm came along I had hardly drunk or eaten all day long plus I was super tired...and it was wet, cold and windy so I went home and curled up on the sofa instead (complete wuss).

So, now I am stricken with guilt, cannot believe I missed a load of training last week due to the fat ankle and now I have missed my long run too...

No comments: