Thursday 25 September 2008

Fat Ankle

I posted a few weeks ago about my fat foot (due to a hungry northern mozzie). Well this time I have a fat ankle. Here's the sorry tale. Actually, not much to tell, I was running with Christine on Tuesday night and we had promised ourselves a nice easy run as she had done the Quicksand 15 on Sunday. It's that time of the year right now where it is dark in the evenings, the street lights are on but the leaves are still on the trees so it is pretty treacherous. We've already had one nasty injury to the head caused by tripping on the uneven Letchworth pavements. Just as we got to Baldock all of a sudden a bike was coming towards us to I moved to one side...and slipped down the little kerby bit at the edge of the path. I went right over on my right ankle and immediately knew I had done some damage. Nowhere near as bad as 5 or 6 years ago where I did something similar and had to get a life back to the club in a police car but certainly not great. Christine and I ended up walking/jogging slowly back to the club (I think Chris was secretly relieved to have an easy run!) and I iced my ankle thanks to help from 'el presidente'. Also in the wars was Oliver who had grazed his knee by tumbling over. By the time I got home my ankle was quite swollen and painful, I ended up not sleeping well at all and spending the next day "working from home" with my feet up on the sofa and my laptop on my knee.

I struggled into work this morning (no bike today as although I think I could have ridden it, scaling the stairs at Hitchin station with a dodgy ankle and a bike in one hand would not have been good) but the ankle isn't much better. I have to admit that although I am normally a positive person, this is definitely worrying.

On a slightly related note, getting the tube for the first time in ages today reminded me how rude Londoners can be on the tube. I was slightly hampered by the dodgy ankle and I got pushed all over the place, thank god I wasn't more injured (for so many reasons). Fingers crossed I can get back on the bike asap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing, hope the ankle gets better soon so you can do your marathon!

Lindsay said...

lol, I am sure it will (well not so sure but fingers crossed!)