Thursday 14 May 2009

MWL Race 1@Stevenage

The first race of our annual summer midweek league took place in sunny Stevenage on 14 May. We're in division 1 again this year and we're desperately hoping to avoid relegation (as we are the West Brom of the MWL). The best way to avoid this is to get as many people to run as possible (increases the odds of the super speedies being there) and we got over 50 people out, what a success!
I went there straight from work with Karen kindly offering to pick James and I up from the station (plus a lost St Albans strider, running is a very friendly sport!) and my kit being transported by Gazza and Christine.
The course was a measured 10k and a new route. Statto had done some research and warned of a tough second half to the race...I took heed of this (unlike the man himself!) and set off nice and steadily (something I am getting better at).
All sorts of people seemed to be overtaking me in the first few km which worried me but as I couldn't go any faster it wasn't an issue! I actually found the first few km much harder than I expected and I didn't much enjoy slogging along next to busy roads. Just after halfway, the course turned into Fairlands Valley park and it got a lot more enjoyable. I was able to catch up a few people (but I was still being overtaken by hoards of others) and I was getting into a nice rhythm. It did start to get tougher as it dragged uphill but soon the dependable NHRR supported started to pop up en route which was well timed as I needed it.
A quick plug for Julia Stroud here, she stormed past me a couple of km from the finish and got miles ahead of me, what a good finish! I was struggling to keep myself going (I even had to content with a quick football dribble as one was kicked into my way in the last 500m) and eventually I cruised over the finish line in 1:01:18 (which I was pretty pleased with). Hardly an amazing time (and certainly not one where you would expect the person running behind you to be encouraged by a loud, repeated shout of "Take her out" (her referring to me I suppose and for the record she didn't) but not a bad time all things considered.
Sadly the water ran out at the end and the evil Fairlands Valley park gnats struck again but otherwise it was a successful run. The results worked out really well too, 3rd for the men, 2nd for the ladies and 3rd overall on the night. Our vet men also came first which I am sure they are very proud of. All in all a top night for NHRR!

No comments: