Monday 25 May 2009

Hatfield Broad Oak 10K

I entered the Hatfield Broad Oak 10K with some trepidation. Although this race is based in a nice village with a great atmosphere, loads of locals running and everyone in a festival mood, the last couple of times I have run this race I have got soaked. Last time we were seriously worried that the car would not make it back out of the field (our little red Yaris is not really designed to be an off-roader!) and I recall getting soaked as far as my underwear.
Anyway, this year it seemed we would be ok as we set off on a dull but dry day. On balance, I've enjoyed this race in the past. On the plus side it has a nice atmosphere and there is a fair mix of runners meaning you don't get too lonely at the back. However, I have always found this race hard, not really appreciating the downhill finish as I have always been too tired plus I've never had 100% confidence in the results and large amounts of PBs this course always seems to produce (maybe I am just jealous, it's over 10 years since I set my 10K PB!!!).
Of course, given my current "condition" I had no plans or aims as usual for this so I set off at a leisurely pace, watchless and determined to enjoy the view en route. The course runs through country lanes before coming back through the village (where there is loads of cheering and encouragement) before looping back round some lanes again and finishing a bit lower than you started. I enjoyed the part of the course where I got to see some of our faster runners and cheer them on up the incline out of the village although I have to admit by the time I got to the aformentioned incline I had to walk to make it to the top in one piece...that was where Sibbo caught me walking but at least I do have an excuse these days!!
So, how did I fare? This is the first race in a while I had to walk and I did find it hard going, especially in the second half of the race when having to slog up hills. My time (01:06:32, 1051/1120) was a good few minutes slower than previous efforts (mainly due to walking) but I did enjoy it and I didn't get soaked!

No comments: