Wednesday 13 May 2009

Running with a bump

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago I am pleased to announce I'm having a baby at the end of September. In true Lindsay style, I thought I had better investigate if this running business was a good idea in my current state!

To start with, the standard advice to pregnant women re exercise is to continue with whatever you are doing, don't change anything and certainly don't embark on a new fitness regime! That said, when you tell people you are going running they do look at you with a certain amount of shock, running, in your condition?

As far as running is concerned, as it is a good workout then it seems a good idea although running can be tough on joints and with the hormone relaxin loosening joints there is a greater chance of injury. OK, so I think that souonds like it is probably OK. It is important to remain well hydrated and not to over-exert yourself (no worries there then...)

There are some well known elite athletes (cos I am obviously one of them) who continued running while expecting, Liz McColgan said "...I trained all through my pregnancy. I was three and half months pregnant before I knew that I was pregnant and I was training 100 odd miles a week... I trained right up until I had her. I think it was about the week before I had her I was out for a run and I took a really sore stomach and I said 'Well, that's nature telling you stop running,' so I stopped running then... But I just love running. I think if I'd stopped I just wouldn't know what to do with myself." As for Paula Radcliffe, she trained a lot but her husband admitted "People were looking at her as if she was crazy". Apparently she only went for one run a day whilst pregnant instead of two!

A bit further back, Ingrid Krisitiansen trained throughout her pregnancy and Fanny Blankers Koen won the 4 gold medals in the 1948 Olympic games whilst 3 months pregnant.

I've even found a training plan for pregnant ladies!

So, that's all very well in theory and I am hardly as fit as my examples were so what about the practice. Well, luckily I've been feeling really healthy and well so I've been pottering on at 2-3 runs per week. I am definitely feeling more tired (in general not just in running) and more recently I have started to get out of breath more quickly (apparently that is due to high levels of progesterone supposedly cause a heightened sensitivity to C02). I am also suffering from having to carry some excess ballast and more frequent trips to the loo which will only get worse!

The next thing is where do I find suitable running kit and does the NHRR kit secretary do (even) larger vests than the one I own! Answers on a postcard please...

1 comment:

posture during pregnancy said...

The running4women training program seems really good, I haven't seen anything like that before. I think as it suggests, just don't go all guns blazing into your usual running regime.