Monday 22 June 2009

26 weeks gone, 14 to go...how's my running getting on?

So, here I am 26 weeks pregnant and still trying to run...how's it going then?
At the moment Cuthbert (as mini-Cook is currently known) is apparently "on the large side" and has noteworthily long legs. For those who know Mr C this will come as no surprise! Sadly those extra long legs are no use for anything at all...I do feel Cuthbert should pull it's weight a bit more when it comes to excercise!
As you can see from my posts about races, I am definitely slowing down. I gave myself the aim of doing all the Midweek League races as they are all around 10K (a sensible distance) and all in the evening so not too hot. I'm pretty sure I'll achieve this aim (fingers crossed).
There are a few things making it tough going though:
  • I've not trained as much so I am not as fit as I was late last year (I ran the New York marathon at the beginning of November)
  • Added to that I am lugging around extra weight which makes life harder (by the end, I will be, on average, 24lb heavier than at the beginning)
  • I am also getting out of breath a lot more quickly than I was before
  • The increasing bump puts extra strain on abdominal and pelvic muscles which means they ache after running so running 2 days in a row is not possible
  • I'll gloss over this, but I do need to go to the loo a lot and I often feel I need to go to the loo which makes running an uncomfortable experience at times!
    On the plus side for the last few months I've managed to:
  • Do a 10 mile, half marathon and numerous 10k races
  • Train once or twice a week on average
  • Continue my circuit training class (minus ab exercises) on average once a week
  • Continue cycling to work (in total about 4 miles a day) (that will stop when i can't life my folding bike on to the train!)
  • Been more or less my usual active self the rest of the time

    And even better, running keeps Cuthbert quiet as it is very wriggly and squirmy the rest of the time!

    In summary, it's tough but I am enjoying it...let's see how long I can continue for!
  • No comments: