Wednesday 17 June 2009

MWL Race 3@Chingford

For a North Hertfordshire resident, the Midweek League race at Chingford is a nightmare, a complete pain to get to, especially during the week. However, given our position in the league, we still needed as many people as possible to be out there and running...and I am pleased to say that NHRR really turned out in force with over 50 runners, wow!
I went straight from work on the most frustrating train ever which barely got going before stopping at another station...after half an hour of this we made it to Chingford and luckily the race HQ wasn't far from the station.
I have been a member of NHRR since 1999 and I've never run this course before (amazing after all these years) so I wasn't really sure what to expect. It turned out to be a very pleasant run indeed through Epping Forest (Formed in approximately 8000 BC after the last ice age, it covers nearly 6,000 acres (24 km²)and contains areas of grassland, heath, rivers, bogs and ponds.). There were some large hills which I had to walk up but otherwise it was very pleasant.
Now, I've started to realise there is a chance I may come in last in one of these races and if I ever do, I will retire from running for a few months. Whilst pottering happily along, I heard the girl behind me tell someone she was last. Well that was it, I was like a hunted fox, or the thing greyhounds chase after in greyhound racing (apparently it is called a lure) and I ran/waddled as fast I could to make sure she didn't catch me...and I was successful finishing in 1:13:24 (6.69 miles) and one place in front of the last placed runner, phew!

No comments: