Thursday 4 June 2009

MWL Race 2@Welwyn Garden City


A week's holiday on a canal boat where you are banned from any sort of physical activity is not great preparation for a race. Neither is a day at work and I always find the Midweek League races hard for this reason. If you are like me, you rush into work in the morning, rush off again later on, rush onto a train, rush into a taxi and take a breather once you are reunited with your kit and ready to set off (still, this is still less stressful than last year's equivalent fixture!).
For the second race in a row, I adopted a fellow MWL runner on the train (last race it was a St Albans strider adopted by our faithful lift giver (Karen) while waiting for us to get off the train, this year it was a FVS runner who was wearing trainers with her suit and looked vaguely familiar. She thought I looked familiar too and we ended up sharing a tax, it's like international co-operation but on much smaller scale...
The WGC course is now a measured 10K, but still involves 2 irritating laps of WGC which I now feel I have done a 100 times before (I wonder just how many times I have run these laps, must be 10-15 times...).
The race itself was uneventful, I trotted round in my usual slow and getting slower style, it was a nice evening though and we had some great support en route so I enjoyed my run. Despite someone outsprinting me (I am not really worth sprinting against these days as I don't try) I finished in 1:04:45, quicker than the Hatfield Broad Oak 10K but I have really started to slow now and in 380th place, I was only 5 runners from being last.

The major downside to being slow (or being a devoted NHRR supporter waiting for people like me to crawl in) this was the complete lack of food at the end. It was a tad frustrating as I could see food in the kitchen but it was for the helpers and I ended up having a nutritious dinner of a jam tart and a mini roll.

No comments: