Monday 22 March 2010

Impending veteran status

I can hardly believe it but on Thursday I'll be a veteran! A few years ago I used to say I was looking forwards to this milestone so I could finally win some prizes but that didn't take into account 2 things: the fact that my fellow seniors age at the same rate I do and that often veteran road runners are faster than seniors! I suppose that if I keep going another 30 years I might win something as a V65...
There are some plus points to being a vet, mainly that I get to take part in the vet-specific events that I wasn't old enough to take part in before. It also gives me the opportunity to set myself some new running objectives, any ideas anyone?

1 comment:

buryblue said...

I am a VET and felt the same as you that perhaps it might help me to do better in competing in local races. To be honest it hasn't and I think it is for the following reasons

I get the general impression certainly in Suffolk that we have a lot of young runners below the age of 16 . There are then a much smaller no between 16 and say 35 . There is then a large ageing group of runners who have been around since the running boom of the late 70's early 80's (including me!)who still compete very well at local races and tend to still come well up the finishing places.

Having said all this if you choose the right race , put the effort in your best race times could be in front of you