Monday 8 March 2010

Another cross country race (or should I say swim?)

Last Sunday saw me take part in my second race of the cross country season. It has pained me not to take part in XCs 'cos I love 'em. IMHO if there isn't mud, hills, water, rain, snow etc then a race just isn't worth doing! The race was at Bedford and the day before we discovered that the race was under threat due to a flood warning on the River Great Ouse and the forecast of a lot of rain. Luckily the race wasn't cancelled but a river crossing did have to be removed. Not that you would have noticed!
For some context, the Bedford XC course runs along by the river so it isn't hilly (shame) but it is usually wet. Now, imagine the scene, rain, flood warning, race running along the banks of a river...yes, it was wet underfoot (and under ankle and under knee). This turned out to be OK as the course wasn't particularly heavy because it was so wet.
Now, on to the race. It was around 4 miles with a slight route change to avoid a river crossing. I liked the new route as it meant I could see most of our scoring men's team as they ran in the opposite direction (well run chaps!). I am still horribly unfit (but improving) and I got very wet but I very much enjoyed the race.
Random factoid: this was my first ever race for NHRR back in December 1999. So there you go.

2 comments:

buryblue said...

well down on taking part in xc put me to shame!

Lindsay said...

Thanks...I actually kind of enjoyed it too!