Tuesday 4 March 2008

Long run thoughts

This week's long run was an interesting exercise to say the least. This week's training had gone a lot better (due to my new illuminous yellow socks of course) so I was feeling confident. However, I didn't make my life any easier as on Saturday I did a 6 mile run followed by a Bootcamp training session at the gym. What is bootcamp I hear you say? it's a tough old class at the gym which basically consists of loads of lunges, situps, press ups, boxing (I like punching Gary) and other silly stuff with lots of loud shouting and music! Anyway, predictably I always ache afterwards (usually for a number of days!) so doing this class isn't the most sensible thing I have ever done in my life.
Anyway, I set off on Sunday with an aim of running 18 miles or so but by the time I had got to Preston (4 miles) I realised that this was going to be a long old day. I changed my initial route to cut out some of the hills (good job I know the roads round this neck of the woods so well after all this training!) and I struggled on. It was a lovely day, lovely weather although the wind was a pain and after a while it started getting really chilly in the wind.
After Preston I went towards Great Offley, New Wellbury Farm, Pirton and a roundabout route back. It was so very hard, by the time I had done 10 miles I was pretty tired and I really struggled round the rest of my route. But mind over matter, I forced myself to get as far as 17 when I could have cut it short at so many other points (the downside to knowing the roads so well!) By the time I got home I was so incredibly tired and achey and had started to get a weird niggle in the back of my right leg (fingers and toes crossed on that one).
So, how do I feel about this run? 17 miles in 3:10 is pretty dire really and it wasn't as far as I wanted to go. On the plus side, I stuck in there and had loads of time on my feet. I guess we shall see...

No comments: