Wednesday 14 May 2008

Midweek League Race 1@Bishops Stortford

Well, tonight we started our summer midweek league. That means the start of me skipping out of meetings early, rearranging meetings (or missing cocktails as happened this week) and getting the train to far flung places around and about. Well, actually, this year we aren't going to too many far flung places thanks goodness!

I managed to get there in plenty of time tonight thanks to the tube, a nice fast train and a taxi ride from the station. On my arrival, Derek had just got the numbers and Lissa was surfing in the car park... It was a little stressful trying to sort out the numbers when it was a bit breezy but we managed it ok and it was on to the race.

It was a lovely evening with a fantastic sunset, I just wish I had had my camera with me! The course was 10k according to the BSRR GPS measurement and was the same course as the last couple of times which looks a bit like a hilly lollipop!

So, on to the run itself. It went really well...I caugh Linda and Gill up which is very unlike me and although Linda strolled off in the last km (her legs are longer than mine) I put up a good showing. This was probably due to having Linda and Karen on my back for most of the race so I had to push quite hard. Lorraine informs me I did this in 55 minutes last year and I did Flitwick in 58 minutes but it looks like I finished this one in around 53:30 (I didn't have my watch on) which...wait for it...means I have met one of my SMART objectives already which was to run under 54 minutes for 10k. I am not going to settle with that, I now want to run under 54 minutes again! I do have a feeling it was a fluke but a repeatable fluke is less flukey somehow...

So, what happened? Where did that come from? Seemingly I have been doing very little training and I also find it hard to run the Midweek League races as I always feel like I have had a herculean journey to get to the races. The simple answer is I don't know but I will take it and enjoy it for a day or 2.

No comments: