Saturday 31 May 2008

Midweek League Race 2@Stevenage

So, on to the second race in our Summer Midweek League. After the first race we were winning, but only just so we needed another superhuman performace in the second race. The race was in Stevenage and was a measured 10k. I've done this course a number of times before and it isn't the easiest course around, basically you have to slog up a longish hill before cruising back down to the finish. This time, the weather wasn't great either and it was a soggy, miserable evening.
I started off ok, I really wanted to do as well as last time to proove it wasn't a fluke but I was also worried about getting too over excited and setting off too quick. I felt a little heavy legged and my left foot (which has been a bit achey for the last week or so - you should see me getting up from my desk at work, very amusing) gave me a little bit of annoyance but otherwise I didn't feel too bad. The uphill was even longer than I remembered and the downhill wasn't as much of a respite as I had hoped! Depsite my grumbles, I finished in 54:10 which I was pretty pleased with although not quite as fast as last time.
And as a club we did really well, but not quite as well as last time and we were a close second place to FVS. They had a huge number of runners out and did better in both the men's and ladies races. Our ladies were there usual brilliant selves and I think our men did slightly worse than last time and we ended up in second place.
So 2 races to go (one of them is ours) and it's all to play for!

No comments: