Thursday 3 April 2008

Countdown

I was reading a couple of the other blogs yesterday and both of them mentioned the countdown to London and the feelings and rituals of the penultimate couple of weeks. I have to admit I am feeling none of that, in fact, it's only in the last few days where it has really hit me that it is less than 2 weeks to the marathon now. On the train into work this morning I was wondering why I am not feeling like the others and why I am feeling so blasé about the whole thing. I've come to a few conclusions which I'd like to share with you.
First, I am definitely not performing at the same level as Secret Squirrel or Lissa. Does that really make a difference? Well, yes I think it does, especially for Lissa startinig at the elite start (scary biscuits!). Of course I want to do the best I can but the best I can do is distictly average (I am usally in the 50s when it comes to age grading %). Second, I think my expectations of myself are lower. I know I am not as fit as I could be and I am bit too lardy to be quick so that really does take the pressure off. Third, whatever I do I'll be ok with it. That's the key. I do care how fast I run but if I don't run as fast as I hope I'll still have enjoyed myself and there will always be another time! And finally, this is marathon number 11! I've done this before, I know I can finish and I know I'll do more marathons and I know one day I'll get somewhere near my PB so it'll all be OK!

No comments: