Monday 14 April 2008

The day after...

So, how does it feel the day after running a marathon?
First, I find I don't sleep that well despite being really tired! I think it is a combination of adrenalin and my body complaining a lot at being pushed so hard. So today I feel a bit out of it.
The next thing is the legs. My quads are very sore, in fact they are painful to touch. I'm also pretty sore around my knees. I am staggering around the office like an old woman and walking downstairs is tricky. I feel a little like my legs will give in and collapse so I have been clinging to the handrail to make sure I don't tumble head first down the stairs. The biggest challenge I have had so far today is the stairs at Hitchin station when tryng to carry my folding bike...it was almost very nasty!
Finally, the chaffing. Yes, not a nice subject but 26.2 miles of running after being very drenched/attached by hailstones does have some unfortunate side effects. I found that my running top rubbed badly on my shoulders (that's never happened before) which was very painful as I got in the shower yesterday. Today these areas are very tender (aw, poor me!)

Otherwise, I feel fine! I managed my usual cycle to work with nowhere to sit on the train and I am currently wasting time writing this instead of working...my colleagues aren't very taken by all things marathon which is a bit disappointing but never mind!

No comments: